Up for a swim???

Up for a swim???
Relax!!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 6

Reflect on what you have learned...
There was allot of information to absorb over the last 6 weeks, some of which I kind of knew, but most of it was new to me.  I had heard about Photoshop many years ago and thought it was just a simple photo editing tool that wasn't very powerful or widely used professionally.  Boy was I wrong.  I never realized how this software could be used outside of just cropping photos until we worked with the Photoshop CS5 "Tips and Tricks" book.  The exercises in that book really opened my eyes to the level of complexity this software brings to the table.  It's no wonder web designers use it as often as they do.  I purchased a copy Elements 10 just for this class and I plan to continue to play around with it and create different projects of my own, and who knows, they may even end up on the web some day.  If not, as least I know that my kids are taught Photoshop in high school and there is a high probability that they will get some mileage from the copy of Elements if I don't.

I think the C.R.A.P. principles opened my eyes to what's good and what's bad in printed and electronic materials.  I can honestly say that I'm looking at advertisements, articles, and websites with a different appreciation for layout and content.  I can only hope that I use these principles for what ever I publish or create in the future.

I found the information about "writing for the web" to be interesting and helpful.  It makes sense to keep it simple when you consider your audience only skims the material.  I know that if I'm searching for something on the web, I typically look for key words that point me in the right direction instead of wasting my time searching through pages and pages of information.  I would have to say that the C.R.A.P. principles as well as the "writing for the web" information will have a substantial effect on how I critique/view printed or electronic material in the future.

I found it very interesting to learn that websites are made up of simple code that can be created in Notepad.  This really boggled my mind.  I expected to learn about the different web authoring programs available to web designers, but I guess I never really realized how it all came about.  I plan to continue to play around with the copy of Expression 4, possibly creating another website, and I'm even contemplating checking with my ISP to see if I can upload a site of my own.

Lastly, I found that writing this blog was enjoyable.  I was somewhat skeptical at first, I'm not a Facebook junky, but once I started it was easy, just more time consuming than I thought.  I found it very interesting reading everyone else's view on the assignments, plus it's nice to be able to complete your homework from any computer and submit it electronically.  I wish more of the professors would do something like this instead of handing in paper copies of the previous weeks assignment.

Compare and Contrast...
In comparison, I was able to convey the same information on both web sites and use a similar template.  I was able to use the same pictures and text to complete both projects.  Both sites have the same main navigation area which is located on the left side of each page.  Each site utilizes the same page names making if easy to navigate either site.  When you pick a link on the "Links" page both sites open up a new window and take you to that web site.  All in all, both of my web sites are very comparable.

In contrast to one another, the Expressions site allowed more control over making changes to the web pages.  I could make changes to the code or to the page and both ways would work.  In the Weebly site I had to use a menu and drag and drop, which had many limitations, my selection in place.  In the Expressions site I have a navigation bar on the left side of the page as well as one at the bottom of the page.  I could not figure out how to add the bottom navigation bar feature to the Weebly site, therefore, it doesn't have it.  I was able to build a table in the Expressions site and place the pictures in each cell and wrap the text however I wanted it.  The Weebly site had limitations.  I needed to place the pictures on the page in a column versus in a table.  This limited my options for text.  I had to drag and drop the format for each picture, insert the picture in a predetermined area, then type in the text, which I had limited control over its placement as well.  The colors and text styles were fixed in the Weebly site where as the Expressions site allowed full control for change.  I could have gone back into my Expressions site and changed it to match the Weebly site, but that would have defeated the purpose of this posting and I preferred the look of the Expressions site.  I think the Weebly site is easier to use, especially for a novice web designer; however, with ease comes a price and that price would be the limitations and control over change.  You don't have all the options or control over the final design like you do with an HTML editor.

How did you final project differ from the initial storyboards...
My final project was very close to my storyboard.  There were a few things that I changed and the color scheme was probably the most obvious.  Instead of using green I used a shade of blue.  I liked how the color of the background and text complemented one another using the template that I did.  I kept the same picture layout as my storyboard, however, I did change some of the text describing the different pictures. Lastly, I changed up the links page a little and removed 1 of the links from my list.

Here is my Weebly site....
http://704577964988964490.weebly.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment